New Music USA Seeks a Director of Development
New Music USA, is seeking a creative, energetic, and highly motivated Director of Development who will lead the renewal and growth of contributed revenue from individuals and institutions in an exciting phase of our organization’s development.
About Us: New Music USA is a national resource for the new music community. We empower and connect US-based music makers, organizations, and audiences by providing financial support, building community, and being an advocate for the field. Working in collaboration with the music community, New Music USA responds to evolving needs and amplifies the diverse voices of music creators. We envision a thriving and equitable ecosystem for new music throughout the United States. Our staff consists of engaged, committed, and forward-thinking individuals working together in a highly collaborative environment. All of us have strong connections to the arts, many as active artists—we are big thinkers and hard workers who have fun doing what we do. Our annual budget is $2.5 million; revenue includes earnings from endowment, institutional grants (government, foundations, and corporations), and individuals.
The Position: The Director of Development will be responsible for leading all of New Music USA’s fundraising activity, creating and implementing strategies that generate new income, particularly from individual donors. Reporting directly to the president and working closely with board members and our development manager, the Director of Development will strengthen and diversify New Music USA’s relationship with individual donors through new approaches to cultivation, campaigns, communications, and special events. They will also identify new major partnerships with private and corporate donors and lead our approach to institutional fundraising with support from our Development Manager. The Director of Development will collaborate with program and communications staff to raise the visibility and awareness of New Music USA in a way that positively impacts fundraising—particularly during 2021, New Music USA’s 10th anniversary.
- Develop new strategies that significantly increase income from individual donors
- Build on existing donor relationships while innovating to diversify our donor base
- Develop, plan, and manage our individual donor appeal campaigns
- Develop a major gifts program
- Oversee and develop board members’ financial contributions to New Music USA and cultivate new board members in collaboration with the president and co-chairs
- Plan and manage benefit and cultivation events in collaboration with the president and communications director
- Develop a planned giving strategy
- Contribute to the advancement of our institutional fundraising and the strengthening of New Music USA’s networks of funders both in NYC and nationally
- Supervise and collaborate with New Music USA’s development manager, who focuses on grant writing and planning for applications to trusts and foundations
- Manage income and expense budgets for the development department
Required Skills and Experience:
- 7+ years of experience in professional fundraising positions or equivalent
- Prior experience in arts nonprofits and/or music organizations
- Proven track record in individual giving including major gifts, digital campaigns, and events; as well as institutional giving
- Success in managing all stages of donor development, from identification and research to cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship
- Ability to motivate and manage staff
- Experience with engaging and supporting a Board of Directors
- Demonstrated knowledge of performing arts philanthropy in NYC, LA, and beyond
- Familiarity with Salesforce or similar CRMs
- Exceptional relationship–building skills with the ability to manage and collaborate with internal and external stakeholders
- Strong organizational skills with capacity to grow in a busy and evolving organization
- Strong written communications skills
- Sound judgment and discretion
- Resourcefulness, creativity, and strong problem-solving skills
- Positive, out-of-the-box approach
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Passion for new music and New Music USA’s mission
Salary: $90,000–$100,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience. Includes generous benefits package.
How to Apply: Please email a cover letter and resume (in PDF form) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Your Name_ Director of Development” in the subject line. Review of applications will begin immediately, and will continue until an appointment is made. In your cover letter, please explain why you are interested in this role, how your experience and skills meet the job specification outlined above, and where you heard about this opening (Idealist/LinkedIn/NYFA/etc.) All applications and expressions of interest will be held in the strictest of confidence.
New Music USA, an equal opportunity employer, seeks to diversify its staff and strongly encourages applications from people of color. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or age.