My Awarded Projects
John Colpitts aka Kid Millions is a drummer, composer, songwriter, improviser and writer who lives and works in Brooklyn, NY.
Man Forever (2010 through present) – composed, recorded and released three full length albums and three live recordings on various formats.
* Toured extensively throughout North America, Europe and China and has performed at venues and festivals such as Ecstatic Music Festival, Incubate, RedCat, Detroit Contemporary Museum, Canadian Music Centre, Issue Project Room Darmstadt Institute, The Stone, and Pittsburgh Filmmakers.
* Performed and collaborated with William Basinski during the 2014 Ecstatic Music Festival at Merkin Hall in NYC.
* Performed at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in collaboration with So Percussion, June 2013.
Oneida (1997 through present) – drummer, composer, vocals. Recorded and released twelve full length rock albums with an additional fourteen shorter works and live performances on various formats.
* Toured extensively throughout North America and Europe and has performed at venues and festivals such as All Tomorrow’s Parties, London’s ICA, The Kitchen, MOMA PS1, Abrons Art Center, Andy Warhol Museum.
* Conceptualized and organized Oneida presents The Ocropolis – a ten hour continuous improvisation and visual installation project for the All Tomorrows Parties festival – in 2009, 2010, 2011.
People of the North (2001-present) – Drummer, Composer. Recorded and released four full length albums.
Kid Millions/Jim Sauter Duo (2010-present) – sax and drums improvisational duo with Jim Sauter of the legendary NYC noise ensemble Borbetomagus. Live album released in April of 2013, studio album released Dec 2014.
Boredoms (2007-present) – auxiliary drummer for the Japanese group’s Boadrum project. Has performed in North America, the UK, Germany, Japan and the Pacific Ocean during a solar eclipse.
Soldiers of Fortune (2002-present) – drummer and vocalist for harmolodic by way of Allman Brothers rock band. Released one full length album in 2010.
Matter Waves (2010-2012) - micro-tonal improvisation ensemble with guitarist and composer David First.
White Hills (2008-2010) – drummer – appears on four full length releases by this Brooklyn psychedelic rock project.
Spiritualized (2013) – drummer.
Colpitts has also appeared as a drummer live and on recordings with Laurie Anderson, Ex Models, Marnie Stern, Yo La Tengo, Wingdale Community Singers, Silver Apples and Damo Suzuki.
Residencies, Juries and special performances:
Composer in Residence – Middlebury College – November 2012
Composer Portrait – Darmstadt Institute – Issue Project Room – June 2012 (selected as one of the Best Concerts of 2012 by the New York Times by Ben Ratliff)
Member of the Composers Jury for the Millay Colony’s 2012 and 2013 Residency Season
Infinite Loop: residency and collaboration with visual artist Val Briton. – Secret Project Robot – Jan 2012
Edward T Cone Foundation Fellow – Composer in Residence – Millay Colony for the Arts – May 2011
Founder and Engineer of the Ocropolis Recording Studio – Brooklyn, NY (2006-2011)
* Recorded and produced albums by Sightings, Oneida, White Hills, Company, Oakley Hall, People of the North, Man Forever, TIGUE.
Founder and President – Brah Records (2005-2011)
* Released 20 albums by artists such as Shinji Masuko, Sightings, Oakley Hall, Company, Oneida, People of the North, Home, Dirty Faces and Pterodactyl. Manufactured and distributed by Secretly Canadian Distribution.
Selected Recent Compositions:
Ryonen – for tuned snare drums, toms, bongo drums, concert bass drum, two cymbals, 5 voices, 2013 (15 minutes)
The Clear Realization – for two tuned drum sets, snare drum, two sets of bongos, 5 voices, 2013 (30 minutes)
The Cave – for tuned snare drum, treated guitar, electronic keyboard, 2012 (30 minutes)
Surface Patterns – for tuned snare drums, electric organ, electric guitar, electric bass 2011 (30 minutes)
Ur Eternity – for tuned snare drums, rack toms, floor toms, bass drums, and electric bass, 2011 – (40 minutes)
Voices – for ten vocalists, 2011 (10 minutes)
Man Forever Part 1 – for 5 tuned drum sets, hi-hat, electric bass, 2010 (17 minutes)
Man Forever Part 2 – for 5 tuned drum sets, snare drum, electric bass, 2010 (17 minutes)
N+1 Magazine – “Heads Ain’t Ready – the Education of a Drummer” – Spring 2013
BA in English Literature, with a Minor in Jazz Composition, Middlebury College, Vermont, 1995 -Studied with Su Tan and Fred Haas