Live recording by Marco Fusi at Spectrum NY, on the viola d’amore. Recording engineered by Lester St. Louis.
New Music for Viola d’Amore
The Latest Update
Recording of premiere performance on Soundcloud
World Premiere at the Spectrum NYC Sunday April 23 8:30 (7:30)
Marco Fusi performs a double concert of music for violin and viola d’amore.
Link to facebook event page (public): https://www.facebook.com/events/456553954684825/?active_tab=about
7:30pm: Set 1
• Giovanni Verrando – ‘Fourth Born Unicorn’ (rounded version & angular version) – (2015/16) – American Premiere
• Wim Henderickx – ‘Raga III’ for viola d’amore and tape (2017) – American Premiere
• Federico Gardella – ‘Estroso/Innerlich’ for violin (2008/12)
• Zeno Baldi – ‘Spikes’ for viola d’amore and tape (2014) – American premiere
8:30pm: Set 2
• Athena Corcoran-Tadd – ‘Parla [&] tu’ for viola d’amore (2017) – American premiere
• Dominique Schafer – ‘Clair-Obscur’ for viola d’amore (2015) – World Premiere
• Salvatore Sciarrino – ‘Sei Capricci’ for violin (1975/76)
Tickets at the door:
$15 ($10 for students and seniors)
NB: 1 ticket covers both sets!
Spectrum NYC 121 Ludlow St. (2nd Floor) New York, NY
Marco Fusi, viola d’amore
Viola d’amore is an instrument related to the viol family, mainly used in the baroque period. Creating new works for this instrument poses new challenges and opportunities. Equipped with 7 strings and 7 resonator strings (tuned independently), the instrument offers subtleties in sound qualities very different from the modern string instruments.
It is a particularly rewarding project to work on a solo work for an instrument that integrates these physical attributes and its association with the baroque period. Due to the flatter layout of the seven strings, this instrument leads to be more easily played using double and triple stops. Also a wide variety of scordatura is possible. In this project I explore all many of these features and work in close collaboration with Marco Fusi who has specialized on the instrument over the past several years.
Marco Fusi plays regularly solo recitals on the viola d’amore and will perform this new work in concert in Italy and subsequently in European and American concert venues. The premiere is scheduled for November 1 2014, Treviso, Italy. A recording session is planned in order to include it in a future CD release.
Start and End Dates